What's more eco-friendly than traveling with the power of the wind? Most boaters are already eco-conscious, but here are some tips and techniques you might not have thought of to reduce you and your yacht's carbon footprint.
- Reduce your waste: The first "R" of The Three R's, reducing the amount of waste you make can go a long way. Shop with reusable bags, buy in bulk whenever possible, and remove and recycle packaging before you go onboard.
- Know what you can recycle: Not all countries have proper recycling facilities. Research a destination before you go so you have all the facts.
- Choose environmentally friendly products: This might seem like a no-brainer, but you can reduce ocean pollution by avoiding products with bleach or chlorine and using ones that are environmentally friendly.
- Ditch the teak: The look of teak may be classic, but it's no longer universally popular. The price has gone up dramatically, supply is dwindling, and the ethics of the supply chain are difficult to trace. Thankfully, there are multiple alternatives to teak. Read more about them here.
- Go electric: It's not just for cars! An electric outboard breaks down into component parts that are easy to manage, and changeable batteries mean you can leave one on charger while the other is in use.
- Add a water turbine: Solar power has improved dramatically, but it still takes time to pack charge back into your yacht while under way. If you need a solution for fast charging while on passage, a water turbine is fast becoming the go-to technology, sacrificing a small amount of boat speed for a lot of amps.
- Reduce power consumption: Swap incandescent bulbs for LEDs, both above and below deck. Halogen bulbs heat up the interior as well as being a big drain on battery power. Keep freezers and fridges full. Bring them down to temperature on the dock while still on shore power. Use bags of ice or frozen water bottles to fill gaps. Turn off your inverter when not in use. Using it to boost battery output from 12/24V to 220V can sap your batteries very quickly.